What are MOTO payments and how do they work?Product Information 4 June 2018
Mail Order Telephone Order (MOTO) payments allow businesses that operate remotely to process debit and credit card payments from their customers, via telephone, letter, or email requests. MOTO payments are processed on a web-based payment system, which works very much like an online card machine, as it will contact the customer’s bank to check funds are available before authorisation.
It’s an excellent payment solution for when a customer can’t pay face to face. Virtual terminals are popular with takeaways, online retailers and other remote businesses.
How do MOTO payments work?
Fast, secure, and user-friendly, virtual terminals are designed to make business owners’ lives easier and so using them tends to be straightforward and easy to grasp. All you need to get started is internet access and the virtual terminal can be accessed using a laptop, mobile, tablet or desktop computer. Here’s how it works:
- Retailer logs into virtual terminal online via a laptop, tablet, mobile or computer.
- The customer’s name, address, email address and card details are keyed in.
- The transaction is submitted to the customer’s bank for authorisation.
- Once approved, confirmation is received, and the customer will receive a receipt via email.
- Much like payments processed via a credit card reader, the retailer will usually receive payment into its account within a few working days.
What are the benefits of MOTO payments for small businesses?
The fact that you can process payments remotely brings several benefits to entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- Provides your customers with a fast, secure and professional way to pay for goods and services.
- Easy to set up, all you need to access a virtual terminal is an internet connection and a laptop, mobile or tablet device.
- Set up can be done within just a few days.
- Allows you to reach out to a broader customer base.
- Streamlined payment processing means you have more time to spend on other aspects of your business.
- Multi-user access means other employees can access the virtual terminal from multiple locations.
- Full technical support 24/7.
- Extra payment protection via the latest fraud detection and security checks provides you and your customers with peace of mind.
- Access to online payment reports provides you with a wealth of useful data to monitor sales.
- Accept payments from all major credit and debit cards, including Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, and American Express.
How much does it cost to process MOTO payments as a small business?
At Paymentsense, we have affordable price-plans for small, medium, and larger businesses:
- Small businesses: £8.30 PCM (processing up to £50k per year)
- Medium businesses: £12.45 PCM (processing up to £250k per year)
- Larger businesses: £16.60 PCM (processing up to £1.2m per year)
Interested in getting started? Call us for a free consultation or fill in some details online and we can get you set up and ready to go in no time.